Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Ashton's Advice

Back again,

So today my principal focus has been finishing the social enterprise book I have enjoyed so much. I could hardly put it down when I first started it and then the need to get some additional training sorted took over and I have been constantly trying to find five minutes to continue. So today I set out to finish the book and I've done it. To be honest I was finding very little could happen before I did, because every step I went to take relied heavily on my fully understanding social enterprises and social entrepreneurs. I may still have a lot to learn, yet I feel I do now have a really good grasp of the basics.

Funny then that the last chapter should be on work-life balance, given that today more than any I was starting to concern myself that, driven by actions from my course, I had spent possibly too much time on pursuing my own goals and perhaps not enough on the business. Now I can see just how valuable that has been and even at the time I must admit to being aware of the incredible people I have in my social network that can help me with work. 

Went to my church group. I am leading in a few weeks time, which will be a great chance I hope for me to share my current energy levels and hopefully leave people feeling positive about things. It will also be a much needed chance to lead a group and a sort of half way house to doing some public speaking, which is a skill I am looking for opportunities to develop for my new venture.

Also had some more positive feedback having bumped into one of the gym Mums, who when I told her my plans said 'good for you' and told me I was always really 'positive and approachable', which made it a good choice for me. I had a similar reaction talking to a complete stranger who has joined my old firm. She said, 'wow I think that's really exciting that you're setting up your own business'. I must confess though I haven't yet had a negative reaction which has been fab. I'm not naive enough to think there are no doubters, I'm just glad they're staying silent and I can enjoy what is proving to be an exciting experience.

So today's achievements are fairly few, but focused at least:

* did course homework
* completed social enterprise book
* found some good blogs to follow
* looked into brightspace offices
* 'had a nosey' at some successful local web-sites

Words of wisdom come from the author of the social enterprise book I have just finished, Robert Ashton:

The most successful people are those who know themselves well and are comfortable with the way they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment